The Five Essential Elements of a Request Letter (sample below)
- Write to:Information and Privacy Coordinator
Central Intelligence Agency
Washington, D.C. 20505
Or send via fax to: 703-613-3007. If you would like to submit an electronic mail request please click here.
- Provide a reasonable description of the record(s) requested.
- Provide your full name and address.
- Provide a statement about your fee category and your willingness to pay applicable fees.
- To assist with a request for records on an individual (other than yourself), please complete this form and mail (or fax) to the address noted above.
- Requests must be submitted in English
Sample FOIA Request Letter
Information and Privacy Coordinator
Under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. subsection 552, I am requesting information or records on [identify the subject(s) or record(s) as clearly and specifically as possible –for example, all previously released National Intelligence Estimates (NIEs) on the former Soviet Union’s space program].
If there are any fees for searching for, reviewing, or copying the records, please notify me before processing if the amount exceeds ________(dollar amount preference).
If you deny all or any part of this request, please cite each specific exemption you think justifies your refusal to release the information and notify me of appeal procedures available under the law.
Optional: If you have any questions about handling this request, you may telephone me at (home phone) or at my (office phone).